Physical Therapy for Arthritis
Did you know that physical therapy can not only help you move more and become more active, but it also reduces the exacerbations and severity of arthritis flares? At Shore Points Wellness, we offer physical therapy in Piscataway and have expertise in treating your arthritis through non-surgical, non-pharmacological measures. Our services include physical therapy, Reiki, acupuncture, and herbalism. Our licensed practitioners have expertise in using traditional physical therapy techniques to help you feel your best, no matter what your age. Contact us to make your appointment to see and feel a difference today.
How can Physical Therapy Help Treat Your Arthritis
- Learn proper posture – learning how to walk and run appropriately, especially in the cold weather, is a great way to reduce stress in the body. Working with a physical therapist can help you improve your body mechanics in order to breath and move with ease again.
- Practice physical therapy exercises – A physical therapist will work with you on your range of motion. Strength training exercises are also used to help you regain muscle so that you put less stress on bones and joints. Specific forms of exercise may include aerobic exercise, isometric weight bearing, and stretch exercises.
- Use of hot/cold compression therapy – Hot and cold therapy is key in improving the inflammatory process involved in arthritis flares. You can work with your physical therapist to apply heat pads, cool the joints, and learn how certain herbs may help reduce inflammation and promote healing and wellness.
- Show you proper use of assistive devices – Often patients with arthritis have to use canes, crutches, wheelchairs, or other devices to help them stay mobile. If used incorrectly, this can lead to further back or arm strain and cause problems. Working with a physical therapist can teach you how to best use these assistive devices and stay out of danger in the future.
- Explain how to modify your environment to prevent injury – There are many actions you can take to prevent a fall or worsening of arthritis, especially if you live alone. This includes modifying your environment so you have the best chance to succeed. You can work with physical therapy to have access to custom-fit shoes, ergonomic chairs, and a cushioned mat to relieve stress on your body.
What Does a Typical Physical Therapy Session Entail?
By maintaining a good relationship with a physical therapist, you can improve the body mechanics of your joints over time within 2-3 months. To see continued improvement, it is important to visit according to the schedule outlined by your therapist. Your initial visit will consist of an assessment of your overall health and wellbeing. This will help point out factors contributing to arthritis, such as obesity or old age. Depending on the cause, you will work with physical therapy in sessions to either reduce weight, increase muscle mass, increase balance and stability, and/or gather advice on how to prevent future flares.
At Shore Points Wellness, our staff has the experience and expertise to help optimize your health. With convenient days of operation and hours, you will be happy to visit our modern facilities knowing your health is in good hands. If you are looking for physical therapy in Piscataway, contact us today and find out how we can help you!